Saturday, August 11, 2007

Prologue

We were sitting in a pub with a couple of friends drinking beer, discussing life and stuff. Someone said he’d read that it’s particularly difficult for the younger generations to focus on one activity for a longer period of time. We started to nod in agreement, adding our own stories that proved the accuracy of his statement.

- "I'm looking for a new job. I can't work longer than a year for the same company. It's killing me. I hate the routine… And do you now what Cyril Hoschl (psychiatrist and columnist for the magazine Reflex) wrote to a guy who had the same problem? That he should get professional help and start giving the money to charity…"

- "What a jerk! He totally doesn't get the issue…"

- "He's way too old to get it."

- "I can't read only one book at the same time. I need at least four of them so that I can read them all at the same time."

- "The same with me when I’m travelling by train. I can't read only a newspaper or a book."

- "Exactly. I need to have at least a newspaper, a magazine and a book, so I can change reading materials every hour…"

This discussion continued for about 30 minutes and through the next round of beers. After a while one of the friends, with horror in her eyes, had a realization: "Well, well, just look at us. What kind of generation are we when we can't focus on anything? We're so doomed…"

Suddenly, everyone was quiet, realizing the painful truth and the weight of this curse. Blankly looking in front of ourselves, we finally spotted one thing to which we actually had been dedicating our attention quite regularly for quite a long time…

Standing on the table, several glasses, so innocent, bitter and ice-cold…

…beer…

Since this day, we knew the significance of beer could not be overlooked any longer! We've decided that for the eternal glory of the beer we will start this blog to preserve this sacred truth for many more generations to come.

And it’s especially the beer-drinking habit in Palmovka, where we live, that lies deep in our hearts. For Palmovka is the parallel universe, the private third world of ours, the forgotten and underrated heart of Prague, which is the heart of Europe, which is the heart of the world…

With love…

Bizon

(The beer was brought to us by aliens. They landed here and looked in surprise at the bored inhabitants of the Earth… What have you been doing here for such a long time? Here! Beer! Let life start!)

Camel

(It's easy to drink in the first league among girls… But among boys, I'm hardly in the second. But I try, I try so hard!)

Moose

(Who do you think I am? I always finish the beer bottle! I'd never in my life leave the beer unfinished!)

Weasel – irregular guest, not that he doesn’t drink a lot of beer, but he drinks mainly outside of Palmovka, which disqualifies him a bit…

(Na jedno?!)

No comments: